Approximately six trainings are held annually on Emerald Isle, NC to provide the Professional Yoga Therapist Certification to licensed medical providers who want to practice integrative medicine by prescription of yoga as medicine.
The program is a combination distance and on-site program, allowing health care professionals to complete the program at their own pace.
- Learn how to use yoga as medicine within and outside the insurance system successfully.
- Learn how to expand programming into wellness and prevention in your community.
- Network with therapists and physicians across North America who are currently using the PYT method with success in every area of medicine from oncology to women’s health to sports medicine.
- Apply the evidence base in medicine and rehabilitation to yoga in order to emerge with a new paradigm for therapeutic evaluation and management.
- Learn about business models for launching integrative practices in yoga and rehabilitation.
- Learn about how to bring the PYT model to referring physicians and other health care professionals in your area, as you transform or establish your practice.
- Study side by side with your peers in case study analysis and in hands on lab settings to critically analyze and use yoga at a post-graduate medical level.
Email Jeff Jablonski, VP of Student Affairs at email@example.com with any questions on how to get started on transforming your career in medicine!
Ginger Garner MPT, ATC founded, wrote, and teaches the certification, along with several adjunct faculty who teach parts of the curriculum at universities across North America.
Professional Yoga Therapy Studies is a graduate curriculum and post-graduate certification and graduate medical yoga program.
Here is what Ginger’s students and PYTS graduates have to say:
- PA-C, PYT, RYT500, Florida – Ginger, You changed by personal practice and teaching beyond words. Just to think that less than a year ago there were so many things not even in my vocabulary – and they are not words now but thoughts and action. Who says you can’t teach an old dog!!
- Canadian physiotherapist, PT, PYT Alberta, Canada – A letter from a student to Ginger…”I want to share with you how much your instruction and guidance and the yoga you teach, has affected my entire life. I can’t not do anything or go anywhere and not “do yoga”. I’m always living it. It is beautiful. I’ve been practising yoga since the mid-90’s, but I didn’t really start to live it until after going through your program (PYT I-iV). I started noticing a huge lifestyle change after PYT III and IV, it was such an epiphany during PYT IV…I started meditating more…and the requirements made of us to complete the program..they have really made a difference in my life. . I am excited to keep sharing, teaching, spreading JOY and peace. My patient’s now, one specifically, tell me “yoga is the answer”! Thank you for your unique program, Ginger.
- PTA, PYT Florida – When Ginger teaches, she present her knowledge and true understanding like water. Soft and yielding, her message envelopes each and every student. With great respect, each student is poised the removal of undesirable debris and the smoothing of jagged edges. This relationship leads to a beautiful and bountiful landscape of flow and balance that is accessible to all. “Beneath heaven nothing is more soft and yielding than water. Yet for attacking the solid and strong, nothing can take its place.” Tao Te Ching
- PT, PYT Clearwater, FL – Ginger provides very thorough and intuitive feedback to each students’ efforts and leaves no question unanswered. I am continuously amazed at her ability to glean and organize so much information. The manual and her spoken words are truly gems of knowledge to cherish and share! I attended PYTII before PYTI and had a slight idea that PYTI would be more remedial. This was by far not the case. Many questions I had were resolved after attending PYTI (I attended PYTII first). I have been fortunate to work with a pain physician and a rehabilitation director who are able to both communicate the benefits of yoga therapy to other physicians in the community and demonstrate improved outcomes. Each of these modules provided new information and amazing physical, spiritual, and academic challenges. I am (obviously) grateful and so looking forward to PYTIII and PYTIV with Ginger. Namaste,
- PA, MPH, PYT, Washington D.C. – Each time I take one of Ginger’s courses at PYTS, I am inspired by the practical and personal concepts taught. I don’t want to go home (again). Just wanted to say THANKS for running such a great program. That weekend has revitalized me in ways I didn’t expect (although I’m more easily discouraged by what I do in my day-to-day practice of medicine!) I am practicing yoga for very different reasons now, and I feel compelled to keep learning, and to share what I know so far.
- Massage Therapist, PYT New Orleans, LA – The more I teach, the more grateful I am to you for all that you have done.
- Registered Nurse, RYT, PYT – I really appreciated the therapeutic knowledge gleaned (Ginger’s PYTI) from working with my own body. Although I have been teaching yoga for years as an RYT, I feel more insecure and unprepared to teach due to identifying many knowledge deficits – basically I realize the more I know, the less I know and I need to study yoga therapy more. I do realize that after PYTI, I can teach a safer and more therapeutic class now.”
- PT, PYT-C Juneau, Alaska Great week (PYTIV). Ginger, you are amazing! Brilliant! Thank you!
- RN, MPH, PYT, Dunedin, FL – “Ginger is very, very knowledgeable and will be a great resource over the next years of my experience and growth as a Yoga Therapist”.
- MS, PT, PYT, Davie, FL – Thank you so much Ginger, you are a true pioneer in the field of yoga therapy and a wonderful healer from the heart!
- PT, PYT Coral Springs, FL – Ginger has an incredible, pragmatic approach to yoga as a creative approach to current rehabilitation and healing. Until now, I have “admired yoga from a distance”.
- Doctor of Physical Therapy and PYT graduate – Ginger, Deepest gratitude, extended to you once again, for all your intelligence, passion, and commitment. As one who strives for being true to herself, you are a beacon of light to us all. DPT, PYT graduate, Olympia, Washington
- PYT graduate, Canada – Sincerely thank you for all your time, energy, and efforts in all you do for the Yoga Therapy profession and also in keeping the “roots” of yoga authentic in your teachings. I respect and look up to you and your pure, passionate intentions. You are a great role model.
- PT, PYT Merritt Island, FL – The teaching practicals, case studies, and oral practicals with feedback are VERY helpful.
- PT, PYT Calistoga, CA – Having been through all four levels of my yoga therapy training with Ginger has been extremely helpful. I began in 2002 in San Francisco. Yoga Therapy is an excellent tool for my overall rehabilitation/therapy toolbox.
- PYT Student, 2008 – Thank you Ginger, for your hard work. You are such a master teacher. I think that everyone benefits from as much personal asana practice with you as possible.
- OT, PYT Dallas, TX – Continue the great work Ginger. I am really inspired every time I come to your class. Thank you for a great week at PYTIV.
- PYT student, 2008 – Ginger, Your time, energy, and effort in developing the PYTIV manual is so appreciated – more than we can express. It will be my “Bible” for Yoga Therapy. Thank you sincerely.
- PYT student, 2008 – Thank you, Ginger, for your patience, wisdom, guidance, and non-judgmental way of educating us. You have a talent for teaching – the way you suggest and constructively criticize is remarkable. The balance between “long days” and giving us “time off” during PYTIV was perfect. We had to work hard – but also had breaks when needed. I did not feel like it was “grueling”, yet I learned so, so much and had fun while still feeling relaxed and refreshed. Thank you! Namaste!
- PT, PYT Evergreen CO – Great job Ginger! It was apparent how much effort and thought went into planning and organizing this program (PYTIV). You are truly an inspiration.
- OT, PYT Ketchum, Idaho – I am amazed and the amount of energy that Ginger puts into the program. Her passion and the detail that is covered is amazing. Thank you Ginger, you are an inspiration.
- PYT, FL – Thanks Ginger for another amazing weekend…it has really recharged me to finally move forward with offering classes for patients/clients, as well as going deeper with my own practice. I look forward to continuing my yoga therapy education with you.
- PT, PYT, San Diego, CA – “After 21 years of professional practice, I found the PYTS experience to be one of my most fulfilling. It not only engaged me physically (as a kinesthetic learner) but weaved a connection between mind and soul that I’ve found difficult to bridge in those patients that need that encompassing approach. I am now committed to incorporating yoga and its principles into my practice as a clinician. Thanks to all who have paved this path for us to follow. I am eternally grateful.”
- PA-C, RYT, PYT, Port Richey, FL – Ginger, Thank you for sharing all that wonderful information and experience with us this past weekend. How timely. My monday 10 am class had a soon to deliver pre-natal, who has been coming regularly, a newcomer 2 weeks post surgery double mastectomy and hip replacement in the fall, in addition to the usual litany of aches, pains and special needs I am accustomed to with the Gentle Flow class. I had every block, blanket, pillow and bolster in use. Some were active, others restorative. And without this past weekend (PYTII training) I would have been at my wit’s end.
- PT, PYT, ~Tulsa, OK – “A wonderfully organized and thorough 3 days. After 11 years of clinical practice, I found Ginger’s PYTII to be one of the most informative, practical, and enjoyable courses I’ve ever taken. I look forward to finishing my certification.”
- OT, PYT, Raleigh, NC – Ginger, “Excellent class (PYTII), it was immediately applicable to my patient populations…especially the breathing, relaxation, and bandha techniques.”
- PTA, PYT, CA – “Excellent faculty at PYTS…She utilized her full background as a physical therapist and holistic health care practitioner”…The PYTII course was extremely beneficial for me, and very practical information.”
- Raleigh, PYT, NC – “PYTII is an excellent course – one of the best I have ever taken. Ginger is an excellent speaker and presenter, fully utilizing her depth of knowledge in physical therapy, rehabilitation, yoga, and as a holistic health care practitioner.”
- OT, PYT, Chapel Hill, NC – “PYTI is an excellent course. I am very impressed with Ginger. She is an excellent speaker, practitioner, and is very astute in her observations and yogic evaluation methods.”
- Doctor of Chiropractic, PYT, Seattle, WA – “I enjoyed and benefited from Ginger’s presentation of PYTII because it very effectively blended the clinical with the esoteric.”
- PT, PYT, La Mesa, California – “Thanks PYT…Yoga Therapy (PYTI) for Health Care Professionals was the best course I ever took.
- PT, PYT, Philadelphia, PA – “PYTIII was excellent for me personally and professionally. Thank you (Ginger) for sharing your passion and insight with us. It was a week I think all of us will remember. You are an inspiring teacher and individual with a beautiful spirit. Thank you!”
- PT, PYT, Manchester, NH – “Thank you (Ginger) for writing PYTIII. Your passion, discipline, and dedication to this revolution (of professional yoga therapy for health care professionals) is felt in your presence and known in your teaching.”
- Physical Therapist, PYT, Chapel Hill, NC – “It is easy to go from “order” in practice to disorder. Ginger’s course has taught me to stop and refocus and review the purpose of personal practice. We use what we learn about ourselves to effectively treat our patients.”
- PTA, PYT-C Paris, TX – “Every time I attend a PYTS course with Ginger I leave with homework for my personal practice and new treatment modalities to use with my patients.”
- PT, PYT, Eureka, IL – “Thank you so much (Ginger) for pursuing your dharma by founding PYTS. It has helped me find and pursue mine!”
- DPT (Doctor of Physical Therapy), PYT, Bellevue, WA – “(Ginger) You are a “goddess”, bless you for following your dharma and sharing it with us! I cannot put into words what this week has meant to me an all levels. I don’t think I’ve gestated enough with it to come to fruition yet. I cannot conceptualize it (PYTIII) to do it justice. Just know that all your energies, your earnest efforts, searching, diligence, and sharing are hugely inspirational and appreciated. See you in PYTIV!”
- PYT Indian Beach, NC – “PYTIII pulls everything together from PYTI and PYTII. It all clicked for me. Looking forward to PYTIV.”
- PT, PYT, St. Louis, MO – “I am excited to re-design my personal practice with this new knowledge. After 8 years of practicing yoga I finally feel as thought I truly understand the biomechanics of asana and what they should look and feel like.”
- Yoga teacher, Greensboro, NC – “I am incredibly pleased with Ginger’s PYTI and cannot wait to apply the concepts I learned. I will definitely be pursuing my full Yoga Therapist Certification.
- PT, PYT-C, New York – “Ginger’s PYTI was a very positive experience that has showed me a new way of looking at rehabilitation. It has definitely shed light on more possibilities for clinical practice.”
- PT, PYT, Chapel Hill, NC – “PYTI was a very useful and informative course. I learned as much about myself and my own practice as I did about applying yoga to my patient’s. Thank you Ginger!”
- PTA, PYT-C Paris, Texas – Ginger, thanks again for all of the yoga teachings by the oceanside. (PYTIII) That was a sharp group of therapists to study with. For the next class I teach, I am creating vinyasa’s to music from the things you taught us over the week. Thanks for lightening up my yoga practice.
- PT, PYT-C, Calistoga, CA – I am realizing how much benefit I received from the PYTIII retreat, after being home for a week. It was a struggle personally to spend so much time in Savasana and concentrating on nurturing, but it was exactly what I needed. I did miss a regular flow first thing in the morning. However I have found since returning home and integrating all that we worked on into a self practice how much last week has done for my personal practice, my regular class practice and my being as a whole. I cannot really put it into words, it is just that good. So thank you, Ginger, for all the effort you put into everything you do.