- This event has passed.
Yoga As Medicine For Pregnancy
January 28, 2017 - January 29, 2017$475
Maternal care can and must improve in America. The current biomedical model is not meeting the needs of mothers or their babies.
Learn how Medical Therapeutic Yoga within an evidence-based framework, can improve labor and delivery outcomes. Use yoga to partner with mothers in both healthy and high risk pregnancies.
This course prepares the clinician to handle standard biomedical prenatal care for the pregnant patient as well as biopsychosocial care. Through a didactic and energizing lecture emphasizing interactive labs, this course will prepare the clinician to apply yoga as medicine through the World Health Organization-endorsed biopsychosocial lens of assessment for first, second, and early third trimesters of pregnancy.
This continuing education seminar is targeted to physical therapists, occupational therapists, physical therapist assistants, occupational therapist assistants, registered nurses, nurse midwives, and other rehabilitation professionals. Content is not intended for use outside the scope of the learner’s license or regulation. Physical therapy continuing education courses should not be taken by individuals who are not licensed or otherwise regulated, except, as they are involved in a specific plan of care.
Upon completion of this continuing education seminar, participants will be able to:
1. Define a biopsychosocial approach to patient evaluation and treatment specifically related to a yogic model of care for the pregnant patient.
2. Describe systemic changes related to pregnancy within each trimester and the integrative methodology which address the changes.
3. Develop safe yoga prescriptions for the pregnant patient in individual and group settings based on the latest integrative prenatal medicine.
4. Prescribe yoga and other complementary methods based on signs and/or symptoms common to each trimester during pregnancy.
5. Differentiate yoga postures and their indications and contraindications for use during pregnancy.
6. Create safe yoga programs for the high-risk patient during pregnancy.
7. Demonstrate breathing, meditation, and guided imagery techniques for relaxation and stress management during pregnancy.
8. Analyze 3 business practices to promote prenatal yoga programs and maximize community visibility.